Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Years Resolution




So….. The New Year has begun and what is on the forefront of everyone’s minds? New Years resolutions of course!

Whether or not we like to admit to it, (because if you are anything like me these resolutions will be forgotten faster than they were begun) we all commit to starting the new year off on the right foot. Typical resolutions are to spend less money, spend more time with family and friends, become more organized, eat healthier, or become more fit.

This year, I decided to make a new initiative; break the mold if you will. I have decided that my new year’s resolution will be to drink more water! TaDa!!

Some of you may be scratching your head and wondering why on Earth am so excited to drink more water when I could commit my efforts to other things. And to that, I say be prepared to be amazed.

To begin, it is important to realize that OVER HALF of your body is made up of water. In order for you to be the best you can be in the New Year, you HAVE to stay hydrated. Water allows your body to:
1.       Digest food
2.       Maintain muscles
3.       Keep skin clear and moisturized
4.       Cushion joints
5.       Regulate body temperature
6.       Metabolize fat
7.       Process oxygen through your cells

Many people that set out for weight loss and extreme fitness find that such a rigorous change in their schedule, quickly fades by the spring months. By staying hydrated you can increase energy, metabolize fat cells more quickly, prevent muscle aches, and better your digestion. By changing such a small part of your daily routine, you can gradually improve all other aspects of your life.

Now that I have convinced you to run to your faucet and fill a glass of water, just how much water is recommended to drink a day? Mothers answer is simple, “Drink 8 glasses of water everyday hunny”. Although a sweet gesture, just how much is a glass of water and do I need the same amount of water as my 6 foot tall brother? (I am a measly 5’2”). The short answer is, it depends. The Institute of Medicine recommends roughly 3 liters/ 13 cups of beverages a day for males and 2.2 liters/ 9 cups for females. These estimates are fairly close to the 8-8 ounces rule my mother taught me, so if it is easier to remember I would say it is safe to stick with that. Other factors that contribute to water needs are exercise, environment, and illness/ health conditions.

The easiest way that I have found to accomplish this resolution= carry a  reusable water bottle with you that has measurements written on the side that way you can monitor how much water you have had to drink.

Drink up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your interested, honest, and respectful thoughts!